We’re very lucky that our house is not far off a South facing garden, it means we have sunshine in our garden all day. Although this means that in the heat of the summer it gets too hot in the garden and we struggle to sit out there unless we have some shade.
Last year we renovated our garden and created a lovely sofa seating area directly outside the back of the house, it was lovely but we had no shade and found it too hot at times during the day. So I am now starting to think about how we can create some shade to make it work for us and our home.
It’s also quite close to the house but no room for parasol stands behind it.
You can see why it’s causing us a little trouble trying to come up with a perfect solution!
Creating Shade In Our Garden
Option 1 – A Cantilever Parasol
- These provide a large amount of shade as we’re looking at ones 3 metres wide.
- They can be moved
- They can be adjusted for different directions with the sun moving
- We can fit in on the patio alongside the sofa area
- But it’s in front of the sofa area, so not as neat looking
- Easy blown with the wind
- You need a very heavy and large base to keep from blowing away
- Mid-range price
Option 2 – Sail Shade
- Looks cool!
- We need a massive sail
- Provides a large area of shade
- Needs to attach to the house
- Can’t be moved with the direction of the sun
Option 3 – Gazebo
- Looks great
- Solid structure
- Provides a lot of shade
- Cannot change the direction of shade
- Sun comes from the front of the gazebo, so will it shade it enough when sitting
- Has to sit high above the door frames
- Long lasting
Option 4 – Fabric Awning
- Can be folded in and out
- Doesn’t have to be in the way normally
- Fixed up high
- Will it cover enough when seated
- Can be adjusted from front to back
- Doesn’t look as modern
- Can be expensive
So what one would you choose?
I think a normal parasol looks like the easiest one to pick from these selections for its price and being able to move to find the best position with the sun. I am just going to have to make sure I purchase some very good weights to keep it from flying away! That’s why I love the look of a proper gazebo and not having to worry about the wind!
Picking any type of expensive product can be so tricky as you want to spend your money wisely. If you’re looking for some reviews of garden furniture and garden products, check out Garden Tool Box as they have lots of reviews to compare items.
So now we need to get months and month of sunshine to make all this decision making worth it!!!